Getting locked out of your car is a frustrating experience, especially when you realize your keys are inside the car. It's a common mistake to have locked keys in car and it can happen to anyone. But what should you do when you find yourself in this situation? Here are some steps you can take to retrieve your keys and get back on the road.
Locked Keys in Car? Follow These Steps
- Stay Calm: The first and most important step is to stay calm. Panic will only cloud your judgment and make it difficult to think straight. Take a deep breath and focus on the situation at hand.
- Check All Doors: Make sure all doors are locked before you attempt to break in. You don't want to cause any damage to your car if it's not necessary. If any of the doors are unlocked, you can easily access your keys.
- Call a Locksmith: If all doors are locked, your next step is to call a locksmith. They have the tools and expertise to get you back in your car quickly and without causing any damage.
- Use a Coat Hanger: If you don't want to wait for a locksmith or you want to save some money, you can try using a coat hanger to unlock your car. Straighten the hanger and create a hook at one end. Insert the hook into the weather stripping near the top of the door and try to catch the lock mechanism. Be careful not to damage the weather stripping or scratch your car's paint.
- Use a Slim Jim: A Slim Jim is a specialized tool that can be used to unlock car doors. Insert the tool between the window and the weather stripping and slide it down until you find the lock mechanism. Once you find it, move the Slim Jim up and down until you can unlock the door.
Conclusion: Locked Keys in Car
Getting locked out of your car can be a stressful experience, but with these steps, you can quickly retrieve your keys and get back on the road. Remember to stay calm, avoid damaging your car, and consider calling a locksmith if needed. Taking preventive measures such as keeping a spare key and maintaining your car's locks can also help prevent future incidents.
Is it illegal to break into my car?
While it's not technically illegal to break into your car, you could be charged with a crime if you damage the car or the lock in the process. It's best to call a professional locksmith to avoid any legal issues.
How much does it cost to hire a locksmith?
The cost of hiring a locksmith varies depending on the time of day and your location. On average, you can expect to pay between $50 and $150 for a locksmith to unlock your car.
Can I prevent getting locked out of my car?
Yes, there are several things you can do to prevent getting locked out of your car, such as keeping a spare key with you, using a keyless entry system, and making sure your car's locks are in good working condition.
How long does it take for a locksmith to unlock my car?
The time it takes for a locksmith to unlock your car depends on several factors, including the type of car you have, the type of lock, and the expertise of the locksmith. On average, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour.
Can I use a smartphone app to unlock my car?
Some car manufacturers offer smartphone apps that can be used to unlock your car remotely. However, this feature is only available on newer cars with advanced technology. Make sure to check if your car is compatible with such apps.
What should I do if my keys are lost or stolen?
If your keys are lost or stolen, you should immediately contact a locksmith to have your locks replaced or rekeyed. This will prevent someone from gaining access to your car or stealing it.